- Songs must be oriented to Australian Country life, scenery, subject material and attitude. This can include romantic interest and city comparison but not songs with only a city setting/context.
- Songs should not be entered into more than one section with the exception of entries into the ANZAC and YOUTH sections (where songs can be entered into other sections as well)
- Lyrics of a song in the Lyrics only section should not be belong to a song entered into any other section
- All entries for any section must be written by an Australian and/or New Zealand resident. If there is a co-writer the co-writer/s must also be Australian or New Zealand resident. Resident also means that each member of the songwriting team is alive at the date of entry.
- Songs maybe recorded outside Australia and may include backing musicians/vocalists from outside Australia. The competitions are about songwriting not the production or recording.
- The songs must be submitted in MP3 (128kbps) format via the online entry platform provided by Song Central – the entry platform link will be provided shortly!
- TSA members may post entries by prior arrangement with TSA Song competition co-ordinator Judy Smith by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- Do not submit instrumental pieces as there is no Instrumental section
- The judge’s decision is final and the TSA will not enter into any discussion regarding the results in any competition. In entering any TSA contest the entrant is deemed to have read and understood the conditions and agrees by entering the competition that the conditions of entry of the competition are acceptable.
- The TSA cannot be held responsible for any digression or non-compliance in any matter.
- Offensive material, or songs containing language considered by the judges to be not in keeping with general acceptable language standards, i.e. containing swearing and foul language will not score well in the competition so don’t waste your entry fee.
- All winning songs except for ANZAC ($400) and APRA/AMCOS/TSA New Songwriter of the Year Award ($1000) will receive a cash payment of $200. The writers of the winning song will also receive a trophy. Up to 3 trophies only will be presented for a winning song. Additional trophies may be ordered from the TSA at cost.
- Cover versions of others work will NOT be accepted. Use of poems or lyrics written by others not of your nominated songwriting team, re-arrangements or re-working of others songs will NOT be accepted; this is a Songwriting Contest for original material only, both in lyrics and music.
- Any song not accepted or ineligible will not generate a refund to the entrant.
- Previous winning song cannot be entered again in any section.
- Winners will receive cash prizes (see below) along with Trophies. Up to three trophies only will be presented for a winning song. Additional trophies may be ordered from TSA at cost.
- The awards will be presented in January at the TSA Concert and Awards show.
- All Finalists will be notified. As a finalist if you are unable to attend the Awards you will need to let the TSA know and nominate someone to accept the Award on your behalf (should you be successful). It is up to you (as a winner) to organise and pay for the transport of your Trophy to your home after the event. You can get in touch with the TSA by email: email@example.com and cc firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Songs entered on behalf of others: Apart from Entries received from original writers, entries will be accepted from appointed agents/representatives of original writers and/or publishers of the original writer providing each member of the songwriting team is alive at the date of entry
All entries will be judged by a panel selected by the TSA from the music industry. A panel of three judges shall be involved in the judging. Each member of the panel shall score the song on an overall basis. Semi finalists will be judged again by a different panel.
How to Enter & Fees:
Entrants are responsible for the allocation of a song to a particular section. There will be no re-allocations of songs after entries have closed. Each song is judged as applicable to the section entered.
Entry fees are $15/song for members of the TSA and $25/song for non -members of the TSA. Do not add for GST.
You MUST join the TSA before you enter songs if you wish to enter as a member.
Go to www.tsaonline.com.au to join prior to entering your songs.
Please note: open section means that the song can be either recorded, released published or not:
- LYRICS ONLY- open section
- TRADITIONAL- Bev Daniel Commemorative Award- open section
- BLUEGRASS – open section
- GOSPEL/SPIRITUAL – open section
- COUNTRY ROCK – open section
- COUNTRY BALLAD – open section
- COUNTRY BLUES -open section
- ALT COUNTRY – open section
- ANZAC – open section
- NOVICE – only unreleased material from a writer/team of which all the members have never won a songwriting contest and are not released/published writers.
- YOUTH – John P Toomey Commemorative Award for under 18 entrants. U18 as at close of competition date.
- COMEDY /NOVELTY- The Geoff Mack Commemorative Award – open section
- APRA AMCOS/ TSA NEW Songwriter of the Year- date restricted for first ever commercial release see conditions below:
- COUNTRY SONG of the YEAR – you cannot enter this section. The winner is selected from any section by a panel appointed by the TSA.
Country Song of The Year:
There is an award for Country Song of the Year. The song will be selected from the winners of all the sections and will be selected by a special panel based on overall scoring. The award will be a separate presentation.
THE APRA AMCOS/TSA NEW SONGWRITER of the YEAR:
Eligible entrants and each member of the songwriting team (if a team is involved) MUST have had their first commercial release within 5 years before the close of this competition i.e not before 1st October 2013 and no member of the team has won a songwriting contest with a commercially released song.
Any Song entered MUST have been commercially released after 1st October 2017.
The new Songwriter of The Year Award for a team or individual is to recognise and promote new talent in Australian Country Music. There is a cash prize of $1000.00 for the song. This award is for original material, Lyric and Melody.
All winning songs (except ANZAC – $400 and APRA AMCOS /TSA New Songwriters of the Year Award – $1000) will receive a cash payment of $200. The writers of the winning song will also receive a Trophy